The Wedding Gurus take you on a journey to
Not only is Penang renowned for its breathtaking beaches and rainforest landscapes but also for the enjoyment brought to its guests of indulging in food, shopping and nightlife. You will be amazed at what you can find in the quaint little streets of Georgetown and Penang Island whether you are looking for relaxation, fun or adventure.
Capital: George Town
Location: West coast of mainland Malaysia
Distance from Australia: Approx 8.5 hours
Average Temperature: Tropical 30°
Recommended Length of Stay: 1 week
Recommended Hotel: Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa – where as a honeymoon couple you may be entitled to complimentary spa treatments, wine, fruit platter & chocolates (subject to change by hotel)
My Top 10 must do’s (Refer to Locations on the Map):
1. Relax by the famous Batu Ferringhi beach.
2. Take a trishaw ride (a small peddle powered vehicle) around the UNESCO world heritage listed “George Town”.
3. Shop at the many day and night markets, especially the famous Batu Ferringhi markets where you will find your fake designer bags/clothes, DVDs and other local handicrafts. Remember to haggle and don’t buy the first thing you see, have a look around as it often can be cheaper a couple of stores down. Along with your markets there are modern shopping plazas also.
4. Visit the array of culturally inspiring Churches, Temples & Mosques.
(Pictured: Buddhist Temple in the Chinese City of Penang – isn’t it stunning!)
5. As the sun set George town comes alive, here you will find pubs and clubs full of live bands, dj’s, karaoke and a lot of fun tourists alike.
6. Relax and be pampered after a days adventure with a traditional massage at one of the beautiful day spas.
7. The Penangites love to eat, be sure to sample many of their delicious Malay, Chinese and Indian dishes either street side or in the restaurants.
8. Visit the snake temples, tropical spice garden (pictured) or butterfly farm.
9. Take a tour of historic sites, villages and plantations.
(Pictured: Porta De Santiago the oldest European architectural remain in Asia)
10. Penang Hill is some 830m above sea level, travel there by train and enjoy a stroll along the canopy trail amongst the rainforest and be amazed by the birdseye view of the island, better yet bask in the romance by staying to watch the sunset.
Special Reccomendation: From Penang I would recommend catching a ferry to my next favourite destination Langkawi which takes approx. 2.5 hours and is the perfect way to complete the Honeymoon of your dreams. You will find the major airlines such as Malaysia Airlines will offer flights from Australia into Penang and out of Langkawi, making them the perfect combination.
Next month I will cover the top ten must do’s in Langkawi so stay tuned!